1st National Biomedical Research Competition – 2018
Abstract Submission Guideline
All aspirants are cordially invited to make original research abstract submission for consideration for presentation at the National Biomedical Research Competition on October 15th, 2018 in AIIMS, Rishikesh, India. This research extravaganza is co-organized by the Department of Pharmacology, AIIMS, Rishikesh and the Society of Young Biomedical Scientist.
The period of submission starts from June, 1st, 2018 at 9 a.m. and ends on September 15th, 2018 at 5 p.m. (Indian Standard Time). It is imperative to undertake submission within the stipulated time, and no excuses would be entertained outside this period.
There are four categories available for submitting.
- Medical Sciences.
* Experimental Studies(RCT and Non- RCT)
* Clinical Trials
* Observational Studies
* Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Life science
* Preclinical Animal Studies
* In-silico, In-Vitro, In-Vivo Studies
* Drug Discovery, Development and Pharmaceutical Studies.
* Microbiological, Biochemical and Molecular Studies
* Toxicity Studies
- AYUSH based research
* Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, Homoeopathy and Naturopathy
- Innovative ideas and patents
* Biomedical Devices – Developed
* Informational Technology solution – Developed
* Innovative solution – along with the result of the working model.
The abstract is to be submitted in the “Abstract Submission Form” section of the website. The decision regarding the abstract would be communicated through the mail within a span of one week after submission of abstract. No registration fees need to be paid for submitting abstract. However, after the decision has been made on the abstract(acceptance or rejection) and in the event of acceptance, registration needs to be made within a span of one week.
Further details regarding registration fees and registration can be found in the “Registration Fee Details” and “Registration Form” section of website respectively. Participants can submit more than one abstract for the competition. In case of submitting multiple abstracts, payment needs to be made for each abstract separately, and unique registration should be done for each abstract.
The workflow pattern of picking the abstract
- Each abstract would be analyzed and scored by one of the designated reviewer.
- A score of greater than 5 would be the basis of selecting the abstract.
- After the selection of abstract, the presentee should then prepare PowerPoint in the case of oral presentation and poster in case of poster presentation.
- The in-person poster and oral presentation will occur on October 15th, 2018 at AIIMS, Rishikesh.
- Below, the guidelines for oral PowerPoint and poster presentation are briefed.
Guidelines for oral PowerPoint presentation:
- Number of slides: 7-10 slides
- The heading of PowerPoint — Font: Times New Roman, Size: 36 point
- The body of PowerPoint — Font: Times New Roman, Size: 26 points.
- The footnote of PowerPoint — The title of the presentation and the sequence number of the slide.
- The presentee must present the PowerPoint in front of assessor at the allotted time slot (will be communicated through email before October 10th, 2018) for 7-10 minutes.
- The assessor/audience will then question the presentee for 3-5 minutes.
Guidelines for poster presentation
- Poster should contain enough information, so as to give an overall understanding of the content to the readers.
- The size of the poster to be presented — 90 cm wide x 120 cm high.
- There should be a heading at the top – to be spanned the full width of the poster. It should contain information like title, authors and institutions. Specification: Title – Font (Sans serif) and size (96 pt); Author and institutions – Font (Sans serif) and size (72 pt).
- The right hand corner of the poster should contain institutional logo.
- The background of the poster should be white and the contents should be arranged vertically; not horizontally.
- There is no restriction on the choice of colour to be used for the content in the poster. While choosing colour make sure that the it is legible.
- The poster should be divided into the following sections – Summary, Introduction, Material and Methods, Results, Discussion, References and Acknowledgements. Specification: The headings should be in – Font (Sans Serif) and size (48 pt); all other text – Font (Sans Serif) and size (28 pt).
- Use of diagram/figure for representation of information is encouraged.
- The posters should be hung at 8:30 a.m. on 15th October 2018(day of the summit).
- The presenter must be present near the poster and clarify the query of the audience.
- The assessor will be visiting posters, and the presentee must present the poster for 5-7 minutes.
- The assessor will then question the presentee for 3-5 minutes.
- The poster will be on display until 4:00 p.m. the same day.
- All above instructions should be strictly followed; failing which would lead to disqualification.
Guidelines for the accepted abstract in general (both oral and poster)
- The accepted poster/ oral presentation requires the presenter to be present in person for display on October 15th, 2018 at AIIMS, Rishikesh.
- The winning abstract will be announced in the final felicitation function on October 15th, 2018 at 5 p.m., Main auditorium, AIIMS, Rishikesh. All presentee are requested to be present at the felicitation.
- The decision of the organizers will be final, and arguments would not be entertained.